Us, book nerds are usually kind, calm creatures (note the word usually) but if you irritate us don’t expect us to act as sweet as we do when we are telling you about our favourite book.
Here are some things that drive us mad…
- When someone says they hate reading and that you prefer to watch a crappy movie than read a book.
- When someone looses or ruins books that they borrowed from you. Just don’t. We will not be responsible for our actions. If someone wants to borrow a book from one of us, they should expect a long lecture about the proper care of a book of such value.
- When someone tells you they ‘only read the classics’ and ‘YA is not worth the read’. Just. No.
- When someone insists on talking to you when you have made it very clear that you are reading.
- When someone says, “Your OTP is fictional. They don’t exist.”
- “Once you’ve read on of those YA sci-fi/fantasy books, you’ve read them all.”
- “Haven’t you already read that book?”
- In that rare situation where someone who ‘doesn’t read’ has read a book that you read have also read, they always ship the wrong people! (e.g. Divergent)
- I don’t know how often this happens but some people in my class mix Gandalf up with Dumbledore. No. That is not right.
- When someone thinks that it is a good idea to STEAL YOUR BOOK.
- WHEN SOMEONE SPOILS A BOOK FOR YOU!!!!
- “It’s just a book” No. It’s not ‘just a book’
- People who judge what we are reading. (e.g. Me reading YA romance novel: la lala la la! Judgy person: What are you reading. Me: Oh, I’m reading…Judgy person: No, I don’t care, I just like to judge you)
- When someone says, “Why are you so tired? You should sleep more. Reading is overrated.”
There you have it, folks! 14 things that drive a book nerd mad.